[openbeos] Re: new kernel

  • From: "John Gabriele" <jandl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:04:51 EST

>I know that people are excited about using the newos kernel, and I am,
>too, but it's not done. Hurd is a microkernel that's done. Has anyone
>thought about using this? If not, why not. This would get obos out the
>door much faster.

Hurd is the group of servers that run in user mode atop the microkernel.
From what I've read, the GNU/HURD is supposed to be portable across various
microkernels that all support the same... interface (ABI? Not sure if I'm
using that word correctly).

Currently, they're running the HURD on the Mach u-kernel but evidently
not everyone thinks Mach is all that great. There's interest in running the
HURD on an L4-based kernel.
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4/

It looks to me like L4 is more of a spec for a u-kernel rather than an actual
implementation. One implementation of it is called L4/x86.

What I'd be curious to know is, what L4 and NewOS have in common.

Well, if my knowledge on this subject started *anywhere*, it surely has
ended by now. I'm no kernel dev, I just know what I've read on /. with
the Threshold set at 4 and above. :)