[openbeos] Re: memory beyond 1 gig

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 16:26:28 -0700

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001 03:57:15 PM, revol@xxxxxxx wrote:

>The biggest problem IMO is not the vm structures overflowing, but the fact
>that
>_all_ the physical memory is mapped into a portion of the virtual space of
>each
>team (in the kernel part, which is limited to 2G).
I didn't know this. But your are correct, this may be the main problem.
I wouldn't have done it that way,

>This trick is used in BeOs (and also in AtheOS) to ease writing some kernel
>routines.
Bad. If we change it, how much existing code will break?

>So what do you think will happen if you have 4G of RAM ???
>it will just try to map your 4G to the 2G space it is allowed to use...
You are correct.

http://uptowncity.com/comedy/Great_Quotes/short.htm

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
Bill Gates, 1981

"DOS addresses only 1 Megabyte of RAM because we cannot imagine any
applications needing more."
Microsoft, 1980, on the development of DOS.

"Windows NT addresses 2 Gigabytes of RAM which is more than any application
will ever need."
Microsoft, 1992, on the development of Windows NT.

regards
Marcus