[openbeos] Re: memory beyond 1 gig

  • From: "p willis" <p.willis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 18:16:09 -0700

> >Perhaps there should be a parallel effort to duplicate BeOS
> > for IA64
> > while BeOS 32 is being developed.......
> >
> > BeOS32 should be ported to more 32 bit platforms once the standards are
> > worked out.
> > BeOS64 should be ported to most 64 bit platforms too.
>
> For me, thinking of the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version is going
> in the very wrong direction. It assumes that all 32-bit CPUs you'll be
> working with will behave similarly enough, that all 64-bit CPUs you'll
> be porting to will behave silimarly enough, and that the difference
> between those categories is big. Personally, I don't agree with that
> point of view.
>
> --
>
> Jean-Baptiste Queru <jb@xxxxxxxxx>

You have a good point. SOmeone mentioned porting to Alpha....
The DEC Alpha is dead. No support or systems from Compaq
anymore and I doubt HP will continue any alpha development
since the focus there is on IA64.
64 bit sparc is a good bet since Sun is stable (for now).
IA64 is a good bet since Intel isn't going anywhere soon.

Peter