[openbeos] Re: leaked BeOS source code

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 18:19:22 -0400

>There's a wild and hairy thread over at BeGroovy about a leaked BeOS
>source code file (or maybe worse) that occurred over a BeShare server.
>It makes for a good read, altho OpenBeOS was mentioned a few times as
>in "hey this could help them".

From a purely technical perspective, maybe it could help.
Having said that, I want nothing to do with it.
The ONLY way I want to see that source is with permission from the code owner
(Be today, maybe Palm tomorrow)

>No, it couldn't! It would only hurt us...
>
>We don't have the source code to BeOS and WE DON'T NEED IT!!!!

I somewhat disagree. Access to the code would help us a great deal with
some of the trickier issues. Think about OpenGL, for example. Think about
BeFS. Many of the pieces that we have not really talked about would be
MUCH easier with the code.

>We can do everything we want by re-implementing the API. Doing so
>avoids all kinds of nasty problems, including, but not restricted to,
>legal issues.

That is why I want nothing to do with this sort of crap. If/when BeUnited gets
their hands on the source code, I will work with them in whatever way we see
as appropriate at that time.

>I have no idea what was leaked. I never go on BeShare (I got on it once
>for about 10 mins about a year ago -- it's just not my cup of tea). I
>have no idea if anyone involved in this project has been privy to look
>at the leaked source code. IF YOU HAVE, DON'T TELL ME OR ANYONE ELSE
>ABOUT IT!!!  DELETE THE FILE(S) AND FORGET YOU EVER SAW IT!!!

Agreed.

>I hope I'm not offending anyone. I would hope that all involved in
>OpenBeOS have enough class, ethics, and clear-headedness as to not have
>anything to do with this mess and not try to take advantage of an
>unfortunate incident. What some individuals may see as a "opportunity"
>that could help the project, I only see as a disgusting, unethical, and
>TOTALLY UNNECESSARY risk that could cause far more harm than any measly
>use it might have.

There is a definate risk. Source without license could poison our source tree,