[openbeos] leaked BeOS source code

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 00:17:46 CDT

There's a wild and hairy thread over at BeGroovy about a leaked BeOS
source code file (or maybe worse) that occurred over a BeShare server.
It makes for a good read, altho OpenBeOS was mentioned a few times as
in "hey this could help them".

No, it couldn't! It would only hurt us...

We don't have the source code to BeOS and WE DON'T NEED IT!!!!

We can do everything we want by re-implementing the API. Doing so
avoids all kinds of nasty problems, including, but not restricted to,
legal issues.

I have no idea what was leaked. I never go on BeShare (I got on it once
for about 10 mins about a year ago -- it's just not my cup of tea). I
have no idea if anyone involved in this project has been privy to look
at the leaked source code. IF YOU HAVE, DON'T TELL ME OR ANYONE ELSE
ABOUT IT!!!  DELETE THE FILE(S) AND FORGET YOU EVER SAW IT!!!

I hope I'm not offending anyone. I would hope that all involved in
OpenBeOS have enough class, ethics, and clear-headedness as to not have
anything to do with this mess and not try to take advantage of an
unfortunate incident. What some individuals may see as a "opportunity"
that could help the project, I only see as a disgusting, unethical, and
TOTALLY UNNECESSARY risk that could cause far more harm than any measly
use it might have.

We have plenty of passion, brain-power, and determination on this team.
We can move mountains if we set our will to it. So let's work hard and
sleep good at night. By and by we'll have all we desire.

(Again, I apologize if it appears I'm pointing a finger at anyone. I'm
not. I assume that no one here has any involvement in the incident. But
paranoia made me post this anyway.)