[openbeos] Re: doxygen tutorial for the newsletter?

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 16:42:46 +0100

> I've used Doxygen before, for both commercial and personal
software projects,
> this would probably require a series of articles spanning several
newsletters
> to get a decent tutorial working.  Either that, or risk one
incredibly long
> newsletter where folks are likely to tune out before finishing the
tutorial.

Just to clarify, I wasn't really the one asking for a tutorial, Guy
Haviv was. I have used doxygen before as well, and it looks to me
that explaining it doesn't really require a large tutorial -- there
is no need to repeat the entire user manual, of course ;-) But a set
of guidelines would be nice: which style do we use (Javadoc or Qt or
whatever it is called), do files start with a @file comment, where
do @author tags go, etc. (Apologies if all of this was already
discussed before.)

> When you say "only the public API" -- I'm assuming you also
include class
> attributes in that list?  OBOS isn't a black box like Be is.

Hmm, now I think of it, on personal projects I always document
everything that isn't obvious, both in the public headers and inside
the implementation files (private headers and sources). I guess it
makes sense to do that here as well. Then we could use two different
Doxyfiles: one to extract the documentation of the public API (the
classes and their public and protected members), and one to extract
the implementer's documentation (everything, including private
members and stuff inside .cpp files). I think the OpenBeOS Doxyfile
right now only includes .h files, though. Anyway, the reason I was
asking was that it wasn't clear to me which approach y'all settled
on (if any).
--
Matthijs Hollemans
All Your Software