[openbeos] Re: distropia

  • From: "mattmadia" <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:54:00 -0800 (PST)

> From: "Adi Oanca"
> > but I REALLY *DON'T* want others to just take our 4-5
> > years effort, sell it, improve and then make lots of money out
> > of it while pushing Haiku-OS.org in the back scene.
>
> Usually, competition is a good thing (although it may take a while
> for the
> market to sort itself out).
>
> Haiku, Inc., just has to decide whether it wants to be a player or
> not. I
> think it should.
>
> -Matthijs

building on top of Matthijs's text,

IMVHO, the best way to reduce the amount of distros is to provide the
best possible base.
people will only try to re-invent the wheel if they think they can do
it better.   Ideally, only nut-balls and geniuses should want to do
this :-)

who knows maybe some of the distro-makers will be able to give back to
Haiku Inc or the community.
( goods, services, increasing our userbase, additional news headlines,
etc. )

Having 1 and only 1 distro breeds consistency at the expense of
creativity, experimentation, and general radical thought.
Multiple distro's allows specialization and creative+artistic freedom.
... only time will tell if someone makes something magnificent ouf of a
distro.

in short, discourage distrobution creation by doing our best to provide
a complete and thorough OS.
however, do not restrict willing people to do  what they want with it.

There will always be the official Haiku-OS version; distros will come
and go.

mmadia
Save your PC.
Plant a Haiku Tree.