[openbeos] Re: distropia

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:09:14 +0100

On 2005-02-04 at 10:26:14 [+0100], Adi Oanca wrote:

>     Apparently I am not the only one thinking distributions are bad...
>
>     Anyway, I think my opinion matters just a bit so it's up to Michael
> and team leaders to decide what should be done in this area. I'm waiting for
> feedback from you guys.
>
>     I would want us to be the *only* ones allowed to make and distribute
> the whole Haiku-OS build. *No* other can take that base and ship or the
> Haiku-OS
> base, improve, add and then sell. *HOWEVER* ANYONE is invited to take
> *everything*
> they want from our CVS tree, *as long as* they don't take more than 50% of
> the base
> modules (put together), which are: kernel, media_kit, app_server,
> application_kit,
> interface_kit, networking, BFS.

Well, that's the licensing question. And it has been answered at the
beginning of the project. Anyone is allowed to use as much of our code as
they like and do virtually anything they want with it. This won't change.

>     I think in this way we can have a consistent OS, people would know where
> to come to get a free Personal version or buy a Pro version. You would get
> the same consistent OS everywhere: one FileManager, same install dirs, same
> preference
> apps, one window manager, one audio system. This way *we* will be the ones
> who
> decide where our little project goes. This way, we would directly see the
> revenue
> made from shipping distributions, not just seeing bits of dollars/euros
> coming from
> a distribution maker/seller.

I'm all for us creating a distro. A basic one is almost a byproduct of our
development anyway (currently makehdimage creates it), but I think, we should
also create a more complete one, by adding available free components. Since
at least at the beginning there will quite likely be several OS bugs exposed
by those components, we save one level of indirection for bug reports.

>     I'm glad I'm working at Haiku Inc., I am glad I'm doing something for
>     others,
> but I REALLY *DON'T* want others to just take our 4-5 years effort, sell
> it, improve
> and then make lots of money out of it while pushing Haiku-OS.org in the
> back scene.

I don't think this will happen. Who of the remains of the BeOS would have the
potential to improve our OS significantly? The only serious player left is
YellowTab. And they have been well-meaning in the past and I'm positive that
the more they take from us the more they will give back.

CU, Ingo