[openbeos] Re: admin team please give final statements (was Re: Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines)

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:37:46 +0200

On 5/22/07, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/21/07, Hugo Santos <hugosantos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
>   But let's focus. People are taking these guidelines too seriously in
> the sense that they feel they can't use Haiku's name or artwork. That
> is not the case if you _ask permission_ to use them. I'm sure you'll
> be authorized to use Haiku's name if whatever you are doing is not
> considered damaging to its name by the admin team. The admin team, and
> the Haiku community in all just benefit from additional exposure.

The problem is that we can't check what every distro is doing. Also,
we want to have one single official distro, so even if someone asked
it's pretty unlikely that he'll get permission to use our name for his
*distro* (distro is not the same as promo). We *might* have a few
exceptions if the admin team agrees.

>   A warning point for the admin team though, as a developer i'm well
> aware that people don't always have time to handle Haiku's issues,
> however, if the handling of these requests takes too long, the
> community stops believing in the processes (hint: financial report).

And so, this is the point where anyone wishing to provide such a
demo/promo will probably need to know who to contact directly in order
to request possible permission to use the Haiku name/logo - if that's
even going to be an option in these special cases. I would expect that
in order to obtain such approval, they will have to make available
their demo image/disc for evaluation by the Haiku Admins.

You should at least provide a complete list of changes. If you want to
be on the safe side you could also provide an image.

If the Haiku Admins determine that the community should best make such
decisions, then these persons would need to provide their promos/demos
to the community directly for evaluation, correct?

Well, "to the community" should rather be "to some eval team". We
can't just let everyone randomly evaluate the demos. For some people
it might be OK to have a promo with 10 text editors, 15 terminal apps,
200 games, and 3 office suites, but this has nothing to do with the
Haiku experience. If we want to involve the community we'd need a real
team with the major members knowing what Haiku is trying to achieve.

At some later point, this team could do the next logical step and
become responsible for building and maintaining the official Haiku
distro.

The admins already discussed that we need to involve the community
into the distro building process because the devs shouldn't spend time
on non-dev issues. I think this would be a perfect way to crease such
a team.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald