[openbeos] Re: Website: what is it exactly?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 19:26:32 +0200

On 8/18/06, Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki) <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Both sides make VERY valid points. While I share Austin's concerns, I
agree with Waldemar's thoughts that, as individuals, we want to have
venues to express ourselves without much constraints.

I should mention that I was mostly talking about progress reports and other uncritical content. The "Collaborate" section should indeed be as professional as possible because that's where our partners will get important information about certification ("Haiku compatible"), for example, and official logos.

The problem of forums cluttering the website can be solved by keeping
them separate from the rest of the website (we could stay with phpBB).
We'd only have to deal with comments.

These two (seemingly incompatible) lines of thought can actually coexist
peacefully, and this is where separation of official (controlled,
formal) and (casual, useful) community-driven communications need to be
clearly separated. As I think I mentioned in a past post, this kind of
coexistence is possible while maintaining (and reinforcing) a single
brand identity, and it can be addressed with a combination of content
organization, UI/web design and branding (co-branding) measures.

I hope you're making sure that this is possible with Drupal.

But maybe it's sufficient to just move the forums out of our website
and regularly purge/summarize old comments on our RFCs and tutorials.
We'll have to wait for your suggestion...

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald