[openbeos] Re: Website: what is it exactly?

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:46:18 -0700

Hi,

Let me chip in on the subject from a marketing perspective.

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:
On 8/18/06, ar1000@xxxxxxx <ar1000@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I am curious about the nature of the new website. It seems to be
developing very . . casually. People are using "I" and "figured" for
posting in their blogs. Which is fine, but — blogs are the main
content of the site. And while it is beneficial to know the time
posted, knowing who posted it exposes the informality of the website.
I think that this is almost the community website people have been
trying to avoid. There is no language or appearance the targets
strictly end users. Nothing that says "this website is published by
the official Haiku (nonprofit) company". I think we should try to
eliminate traces of informality by writing or editing content using
formal diction. No more jokes in status updates. No off-topic
information in official newsletters or content. And no showing of any
user names (unless perhaps the user name is their full, capitalized,
unabbreviated name . . and even still, it is less professional). Is
this website going to be a mozilla.com or a spreadfirefox.com. We
probably need both — but they need to have some separation. Either by
section on a site or by a sub-domain. Maybe its just me, maybe I
visualize a corporate identity for Haiku that no one else wants. But,
thats my 2 cents.

Personally, I dislike this vision of a "boring" company where jokes are disallowed and everybody must wear suits when coding and use formal language for all communication. If someone writes a progress report he can use "figured" or whatever he wants as long as it's not vulgar.

We are no robots. We want to have fun when working on Haiku and others
should know this. I doubt that companies get scared by formulations
like "that's cool!". The official website still targets end-users. We
just don't want to flood our website with lots of unrelated
information. For example, Urias first suggested that TeamHaiku could
have their own blog on our site. IMHO, this is going too far. We're
not a site about TeamHaiku or other projects. We're Haiku!

Also, if you saw Drupal's official website you should know why we
won't integrate end-user forums into our site. Whenever I try
searching for module project pages via the "Search" function I get so
many forum posts that I have to run multiple different search attempts
before I can find the page I searched. That's not the way it should
be. If end-user discussions get into your way when searching for
something important then the website has failed.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald

Both sides make VERY valid points. While I share Austin's concerns, I agree with Waldemar's thoughts that, as individuals, we want to have venues to express ourselves without much constraints.

These two (seemingly incompatible) lines of thought can actually coexist peacefully, and this is where separation of official (controlled, formal) and (casual, useful) community-driven communications need to be clearly separated. As I think I mentioned in a past post, this kind of coexistence is possible while maintaining (and reinforcing) a single brand identity, and it can be addressed with a combination of content organization, UI/web design and branding (co-branding) measures.

I am in the process of putting together a sample model that would work in that direction; please bear with me for a few more days, and I will post it here for everyone to see and comment.

Koki