[openbeos] Re: Waiting and waiting

  • From: alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alan Ellis)
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:03:00 -0800

Ok, that sounds reasonable.

Thanks, Michael, for cutting in for some explanation, I appreciate it!

So, to summarize what I understand so far:

Parts of the system wich rely on private commuication APIs will need to
be replaced as sets. With likely the whole system slamazzel being
replaced at once.

ie: app_server <-> input_server
    libroot <-> kernel
    app_server <-> kernel
    libbe <-> app_server
    etc.

but all the parts which have public APIs will remain binary compat.

apps <-> libbe
drivers <-> kernel
etc.

So, how far along is libroot? That's gotta be a huge deal. Especially
with making sure it's threadsafe/reentrant, even if you use the GNU one as a
starting point.

Alan