[openbeos] Re: Version of USB

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 23:10:35 -0500

>On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 08:18:54PM -0500, Michael Phipps wrote:
>> I am not promising, but, basically, whatever I code for.
>> Probably the latest spec out there. Unless it makes it unusable for too
>> many people (i.e. the specs are not backward compatible) or it is
>> *VASTLY* harder for little/no  win.
>
>Did you just state 'I don't know'/ 'We will see' in 4 lines ?

Kind of. I would *like* to support 2.0. It all depends on
a) getting the hardware
b) getting support, etc
c) getting documentation
d) how drastically much harder it is that 1.1
e) if 2.0 code wouldn't work with 1.1 devices.

>USB 2.0 host controllers are hardware compatible the UHCI interface,
>spec, I understood some time ago. But, with the existing 1.1 USB drivers,
>they will support only USB 1.1 devices.

That is cool.

>I don't think USB 2.0 is that important yet. Microsoft doesn't support
>it, so the more advanced 1394 bus is more interesting to me. At least
>their powermanagment is better, and they have a fullduplex 400 MBps bus,
>allowing a few DV videostreams being streamed to harddrives on the same
>bus.

2.0 will be supported, though, soon. And I would rather be a little ahead of
the
game than behind. Assuming, of course, that I don't have to bust a gut to do it.