[openbeos] Re: Version of USB

  • From: Jeremy Powers <jpowers@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 02:16:16 -0800

Mark-Jan Bastian wrote:
<some stuff>
I don't think USB 2.0 is that important yet. Microsoft doesn't support
it, so the more advanced 1394 bus is more interesting to me. At least
their powermanagment is better, and they have a fullduplex 400 MBps bus,
allowing a few DV videostreams being streamed to harddrives on the same
bus.
<other stuff>

I believe the correct phrase would be 'Microsoft doesn't support it _yet_'. USB is pretty big stuff, and just the fact that there is a 2.0 standard means that people are not going to use it. Sure, it's not as cool as firewire or anything, but if USB support is going to be done from scratch why not use the new standard? No idea how much more complex it is, but designing to 2.0 originally is probably easier than writing for 1.1 (or whatever) and then trying to beef it up. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Am I wrong in assuming that since R5 USB didn't work all that well, OBOS will try and do better from the start? Seems silly to recreate (undesired) bugs.

(if any of this seems stupid, well, I am writing at 2 am...)

Elendel