[haiku] Re: Trying the alpha/Video card questions

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:31:31 +0200

Hi,

Ricardo Maraschini schrieb:
I'm using Haiku for the first time and I want to say to you that the
performance is something wonderful. How fast it boots! Congratulations
to all developers, you really deserve this.

Changing a little the subject, my video card wasn't detected correctly
or it's not currently supported by Haiku. I'm running here with vesa
without problems regarding performance but I can't change my screen
resolution. The max resolution that I can achieve is 1024x768 but my
lcd screen supports 1280x800.

~> listimage |grep acc
  406                 /boot/system/add-ons/accelerants/vesa.accelerant
0x83c000 0x840000    0          0
TEAM  714 (/bin/grep acc):

Viewing the /var/log/syslog file I found the following line:

KERN: Additional Video Mode (1280x800@60Hz):

My questions:
My video card isn't currently supported by Haiku?

device Display controller [3|80|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 2a43: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller

Is my bios informing the resolution in a buggy way? I read somewhere
that Haiku gets the supported resolutions for vesa directly from the
BIOS using the EDID, so I did this assumption.

What's is the meaning of the line pointed to that Additional Video
Mode? Is the resolution supported by my monitor?

BTW, I try to put the 1280x800 resolution into
/boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa without success.

We really need to put this into our FAQ... :-)

There are two mode lists:

The first list is the resolutions supported by your monitor. This list is retrieved using EDID. All works fine and your monitor is reporting the native panel resolution as "additional mode".

The second list is the hardcoded resolution list in your graphics adapter's VESA BIOS. The vendor of the adaptor specifies that list. For example, my GTX285 from Club3D may have another list than another persons GTX285 from ASUS. Anyway, *only* the resolutions in that VESA BIOS list are possible to switch to from within the vesa driver (it selects them by list index). *If* 1280x800 was in the VESA list of your adaptor, then the vesa driver and Haiku's app_server would use that mode, since it is the preferred mode of your monitor. But since it's not in that list, there is nothing the vesa driver can do about it. Another persons VESA BIOS may contain 1280x800 it totally depends on the vendor, not even the specific chip.

But a native driver can program the graphics chip for almost any resolution. It is not restricted to the VESA BIOS mode list as the vesa driver is. But the intel driver we have in Haiku does not yet support your chip - sorry about that. :-\

Best regards,
-Stephan