[haiku] Re: Trying the alpha/Video card questions

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:22:31 -0300

Ricardo Maraschini wrote:

Changing a little the subject, my video card wasn't detected correctly
or it's not currently supported by Haiku. I'm running here with vesa
without problems regarding performance but I can't change my screen
resolution. The max resolution that I can achieve is 1024x768 but my
lcd screen supports 1280x800.

Haiku can only set VESA resolutions reported by the BIOS. What is happening here is that the BIOS is not reporting the mode you want.

My video card isn't currently supported by Haiku?

device Display controller [3|80|0]
  vendor 8086: Intel Corporation
  device 2a43: Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller

Apparently not, although I am not sure what exactly is the chipset based on this.

Is my bios informing the resolution in a buggy way? I read somewhere
that Haiku gets the supported resolutions for vesa directly from the
BIOS using the EDID, so I did this assumption.

Kinda. It is just not informing the native resolution for your monitor.

What's is the meaning of the line pointed to that Additional Video
Mode? Is the resolution supported by my monitor?

Yes. That is reported by the monitor, but with VESA the resolution must match some resolution reported by the BIOS.

BTW, I try to put the 1280x800 resolution into
/boot/home/config/settings/kernel/drivers/vesa without success.

Thatś because your BIOS is not reporting this mode so putting it there won't help.

Congratulations again and I hopefully wait for an answer :)

I am afraid this is not the answer you wanted to hear. :)

-Bruno