[haiku] The Filer (was Re: "Pictures" folder? ....)

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:57:30 -0700

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 06:24:03PM -0400, Jon Yoder wrote:
> On 07/14/2012 04:21 PM, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> >>
> >>One real convenience would be if WebPositive could use the mime-type
> >>of the file it's downloading to direct it to a suitable folder
> >
> >Actually this idea has been tossed around before, but in a more
> >generic design called the sorting chute:
> >
> >http://www.haiku-os.org/glass_elevator/rfc/sorting_chute
> >
> >So you would just need to make the Web+ download directory the sorting
> >chute directory.
> >

> I've got one better. Years ago I wrote an app called The Filer which
> implements the sorting chute. I'm not doing any development on it
> anymore (or anything else, at the moment :( ) but IIRC it's feature
> complete and MIT licensed, so if someone wants to continue to hack on
> it, they certainly have the leeway to do so.
>
> http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/info-management/file-management/the-filer

OK, Jon, I took your invitation. (:-))  I tried the Filer and was very taken
with it, but there were a couple of added features that I immediately
wanted, so I went ahead and implemented them.

First, I found that *all* the rules that matched a file would be applied,
which I didn't quite expect.  (I had added a 'default' rule at the end
to pop an alert if a dropped file wasn't handled, but found it was invoked
on all files, matched or not.)  So I added a "Stop Here" action to the
choices, which will prevent testing continuing if the rule is invoked.

As many of the values entered in tests or actions are file or folder
names, I wanted to just be able to drag an icon onto the value field
to enter its pathname, rather than having to type in the whole string;
this now works.  Folders to be monitored by the AutoFiler can be
added the same way.

Finally, I wasn't too happy with the fixed location of the Filer folder
("/boot/apps/System Tools/Filer") so I've adapted the code so it will
work from anywhere.  (It has to know its location for setting into
UserBootscript to start AutoFiler at boot.)

I've packaged it up (as a zip file) if anyone wants to try it.  (Jon had
it as an Installer package, but I don't have the facilities, and I'm not
too keen on the opaqueness of that system anyway.)
I guess it would be up to Jon to put this revision onto HaikuWare
[wouldn't want to split the location] but if others think it's as attractive
as I do maybe it should be added to the optional packages.

For now, anyway, you can get it from:

  http://goodeveca.net/haiku/Filer1.0b4.zip

Cheers,
        -- Pete --