[openbeos] Re: Supported Hardware

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 22:34:07 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Mark A Johnson wrote:

> Hi, I know that this is a bit OT, but I have a small question.  What
> newer laptops can run BeOS?  I mean like the Dell Latitude C***, or the
> Fujitsu C Series, or whatever.  What runs the best, and has a decent
> clock speed >1GHz, along with good video (not shared memory) and ample
> hard drive (30+ is always good) space.  I am going to need one in a while
> and I would like to run O/BeOS/Zeta (which ever comes first) on it.  So
> any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's a good deal of well supported laptops at the moment. If it has a
ATI Mobility Radeon graphics card (up to M9) and a AC97 compatible sound
chip, you've a very good chance (thanks to Thomas Kurschel and Marcus
Overhagen respectively) that at least these components do work. For other
components, like network card, USB and FireWire you better test whether
they really work. Desktop and mobile P4s, as well as the new Pentium-M do
work in principle. Don't know about Athlons, since they usually aren't
compiled together with Radeon cards...

Being in the process of buying a new laptop myself, I've tested a couple
of machines. Mail me off-list, if you're interested in details.

CU, Ingo