[openbeos] Re: Summer of Code

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 14:48:35 +0100

On 2007-03-17 at 22:39:25 [+0100], mt2 <itrekkie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to introduce myself to the group as Michael Tremel.

Welcome!

> I am
> currently a high school senior hoping to leave very soon to pursue
> computer science and linguistics. I've always been intrigued by BeOS
> and I've been following Haiku for some time. The ideas behind this
> project are, to me, quite beautiful.
>
> I'm looking for a little bit of help. I've read all about the Google
> Summer of Code, and would very much like to apply, but I'm concerned
> that it is only open to college students. Further, even if I were to
> apply, the chances of me getting in aren't so hot. Am I correct in
> assuming that Google's program is indeed only for college students?

The application guide for students is here:

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/guide-to-the-gsoc-web-app-for-student-applicants

There's a "School" section, which says:

"If you have not yet begun attending college or university, make your best
estimate of the date you will be graduating."

I suppose, that could be interpreted as that they generally also accept
students not yet attending a college/university, thus including you. I
wouldn't rule out that they only want to cover the case of students who've
finished high school and have been accepted by a college/university, but
not yet started studying there yet.

The Student Participant Agreement says:

"1.3 Student Warranties. You hereby represent, warrant, and agree that: (a)
you are enrolled in or accepted into an accredited institution including
but not necessarily limited to colleges, universities, masters programs,
PhD programs and undergraduate programs;"

If "accredited institution including but not necessarily limited to ..."
also means high schools, you're definitely included, otherwise likely not.

I guess, it wouldn't harm, as Waldemar suggested, to ask on their mailing
list.

CU, Ingo