[openbeos] Summer of Code

  • From: mt2 <itrekkie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:39:25 -0700

I'd like to introduce myself to the group as Michael Tremel. I am currently a high school senior hoping to leave very soon to pursue computer science and linguistics. I've always been intrigued by BeOS and I've been following Haiku for some time. The ideas behind this project are, to me, quite beautiful.

I'm looking for a little bit of help. I've read all about the Google Summer of Code, and would very much like to apply, but I'm concerned that it is only open to college students. Further, even if I were to apply, the chances of me getting in aren't so hot. Am I correct in assuming that Google's program is indeed only for college students? If that is the case (or if I am denied), I have my own idea, and I would love your opinions.

I would very much like to contribute to Haiku with a small task regardless of my inclusion of Google's program. I'm new to C and C++ (though I have used it school classes), and I am looking to get my feet wet. If anyone has a ticket in mind that they might be easy enough to handle, ideas of places to learn more about the internal workings of Haiku and/or C(++) in general, or some general pointers on how I might start to help, I would be much obliged. Finally, if this isn't the appropriate forum to discuss this, I apologize-- I'm still learning how it all works.

Thank you in advance,
Michael Tremel