[openbeos] Re: Summer of Code

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 13:11:29 +0100

Hi Michael,

On 3/17/07, mt2 <itrekkie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd like to introduce myself to the group as Michael Tremel. I am
currently a high school senior hoping to leave very soon to pursue
computer science and linguistics. I've always been intrigued by BeOS
and I've been following Haiku for some time. The ideas behind this
project are, to me, quite beautiful.

Welcome to Haiku!

I'm looking for a little bit of help. I've read all about the Google
Summer of Code, and would very much like to apply, but I'm concerned
that it is only open to college students. Further, even if I were to
apply, the chances of me getting in aren't so hot. Am I correct in
assuming that Google's program is indeed only for college students?
If that is the case (or if I am denied), I have my own idea, and I
would love your opinions.

Well, it says that it's only for students, but maybe you should better
ask directly on their mailing list?
http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss

Since you said (below) that you're new to C/C++ I think it might be
too early for starting something as big as a GSoC project, but this is
only my opinion.

I would very much like to contribute to Haiku with a small task
regardless of my inclusion of Google's program. I'm new to C and C++
(though I have used it school classes), and I am looking to get my
feet wet. If anyone has a ticket in mind that they might be easy
enough to handle, ideas of places to learn more about the internal
workings of Haiku and/or C(++) in general, or some general pointers
on how I might start to help, I would be much obliged. Finally, if
this isn't the appropriate forum to discuss this, I apologize-- I'm
still learning how it all works.

You could take a look at our apps/preflets and fix font sensitivity
issues, for example. That should be pretty easy and you'd learn
something important.

Another alternative is to change the preferences dialogs of our apps
(Expander, etc.) to conform to our preflets:
* remove OK & Cancel
* add Defaults & Revert (revert brings you back to the state when the
dialog was opened)
* activate changes immediately
* save preferences permanently when prefs window gets closed
* rename "Settings" to "Preferences" everywhere
* move "Preferences..." to "Edit" menu, if there is one
The HIG has more information for you:
http://factory.haiku-os.org/documentation/HIG/

If you want to work on something else, just shout. You can also take a
look our our bugs:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=R1&order=priority

Good luck! :)

Bye,