[haiku] Re: State of Haiku QA

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 18:12:13 +0100

On 2010-01-04 at 00:01:33 [+0100], Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 2010-01-03 at 18:34:51 [+0100], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
> wrote: [...]
> > As long as the developers are not working faster than the existing
> > high-quality testers, there is no point in extending the QA process.
>
> I certainly don't want to belittle the effort of the existing testers,
> but a well-organized QA will definitely help to improve the overall
> ticket quality and tracking of bugs. This will actually help the
> developers, rather than just flood them with more tickets as you seem to
> suggest.

Someone has to do that work of course (coming up with a well organized QA).
I don't want to keep anyone from doing that, although a discussion will
alays take up resources of course. The reason why I am hesitant toward the
idea is that I see plenty of tickets that are perfectly suitable as they
are to explain a lot of bugs in Haiku. A very little amount of tickets
fails to describe a problem in enough detail that anyone, given the time
and motivation, couldn't figure out the bug from the ticket. Another very
small amount of tickets requires to repeat information previously given
elsewhere. I don't think these problems are inherint to the system we use.

Again - how exactly will a better QA process bring immediate benefit to the
project, if we fail to draw the big potential benefit out of the process we
alreay have? By big potential benefit I mean that Haiku would already be so
much more polished if a big chunk of all existing tickets were fixed right
now. The main problems are lack of time and/or motivation. How will a
better QA process help with that? More likely (IMHO), it has the potential
to cause even more frustration when tickets just linger if the one who
prepared it put even more effort into it.

Best regards,
-Stephan