[openbeos] Re: "Send a brief introduction to the Haiku mailing list"

  • From: "Bryan Varner" <bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:55:07 -0500 EST

Yeah, because it's better to learn five completely unrelated to Haiku /
BeOS technologies that when put together pretty much suck, rather than
one good way of programming interfaces for an operating system that
you're interested in.

I must respectfully disagree. The poster mentioned nothing about
desiring to learn AJAX, why would you recommend something that is the
complete and total opposite?

You can draw UI's on paper or any vector graphics tool and adjust them
easily. You can even learn enough C++ to easily prototype what you want
things to look like in a weekend if you're determined. It doesn't have
to work, it just has to look close enough.

There are (were?) several tools on BeBits that would generate C++ code
for objects you could drag n' drop into place.

If you're really into learning, instead of wasting your time with XHTML
forms, DOM, Javascript, and all the other anti-climatic wrong-direction
industry circle-jerk buzzwords of the moment I would suggest you invest
your time in actually learning some basic C++ with the BeAPI. It'll get
you where you actually want to be a lot quicker -- writing Haiku
programs and interfaces.

Beyond that, in many cases people find it to be a lot easier than the
hodge-podge alphabet soup you'll need to build anything close to 'web
2.0' (oh God. Someone please kill me for using that retarded term)
like.

-Bryan

> BeOS UI is not that easy to program.
>
> I would suggest starting with XHTML Forms, DOM, and Javascript. For
> UI design it allows you develop a prototype quite easily. Better still
it then allows you to easily publish a prototype on the web for others
to review.