[openbeos] Re: SCM

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:59:58 GMT

Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>:

> Hi,
> please post your SCM1 vs SCM2 comparisons. Then, we can vote for one
> that will be used for R1+.
> At some later point we might write our own SCM that is more
> user-oriented (GUI, userland FS?, Tracker add-on freezes state,
> anyway...).
>
> Our current solutions seem to be:
> 1. Perforce
> 2. arch
> 3. subversion
>
> This can be a starting point:
>
> Perforce:
> + easy to use
Because of the ability to store the depot config it's easier to work
with multiple depots:
~/tic/workspace/dundermusen/.p4env
P4CLIENT=tic_beos
P4PASSWD=...
P4USER=tic
P4PORT=192.168.0.1:1666

~/tic/workspace/d3proj/.p4env
P4USER=d3tic
P4CLIENT=d3tic_home
P4PASSWD=...
P4PORT=192.168.0.1:1666

Which means that anytime you do any operation under a particular
workspace, p4 searches for the the file $P4CONFIG in the parent
directories recursively until it has found it.

> + Inter-File Branching (TM)
> - closed source
> + atomic
> ?+ GUI (BeOS, too?): better for doc-team and starters
Yeah, it's got some Tracker add-ons as well. Eddie's got p4 edit
$currentfile built-in, just to click on the little box to the left of
the shell icon. ;)

> - files are read-only, must "p4 edit" to make writable

That's because the Perforce server saves the state of all clients
connecting to the server, which means all operations involving the
server will be much faster (sync, submit).

Also means it doesn't leave cruft behind (CVSRoot, SVN, ...) in your
checked-out files.

> subversion:
> + not much new to learn (just a better CVS)
> + open source
> + already ported
> + atomic

Also, BeClan uses SVN, so there's already some momentum there.

Now, as both Subversion and Perforce require a server we still have the
problem of where to run it.  It seems there are services already
providing SVN access, so that's good.  I'd still prefer Perforce,
however; has been a lot faster to use and like I said doesn't put their
folders everywhere.

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be