[openbeos] Re: SCM

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:00:26 +0200

> > Hi, the SCM discussion is not finished, yet. ;)
> > This question might seem stupid, but I cannot think of a good
> > reason...
> > Why is "add" and "remove" needed at all? Can the system not
> > automatically add and remove everything and allow removing the
> > entries
> > from the submit message if they should not be committed?
>
> I think that would be far more annoying than anything. Why on earth
> would you want this? I think add/remove is very low overhead.

Yes, that might be, but you could easily move them into your private hacking branch if they should not be committed...
Anyway, the most annoying restriction of p4 is "edit". This could be removed, I hope. Or is it a feature? Can someone please explain why it is needed?

> > Sh! ould we implement our own SCM?
> > I thought of a userland-FS-based system. It could track file
> > renames/moves easily.
>
> Some day.

Of course, some day, not now. We have perforce and I like it more and more.
Can we agree on using p4 (despite "edit")?

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald