[openbeos] Re: SCM

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:05:41 +0100

Hi,
please post your SCM1 vs SCM2 comparisons. Then, we can vote for one that will be used for R1+.
At some later point we might write our own SCM that is more user-oriented (GUI, userland FS?, Tracker add-on freezes state, anyway...).

Our current solutions seem to be:
1. Perforce
2. arch
3. subversion

This can be a starting point:

Perforce:
+ easy to use
+ Inter-File Branching (TM)
- closed source
+ atomic
?+ GUI (BeOS, too?): better for doc-team and starters
- files are read-only, must "p4 edit" to make writable

arch:
- complicated (ATM?)
+ open source
+ decentralized
+ atomic
+ already ported

subversion:
+ not much new to learn (just a better CVS)
+ open source
+ already ported
+ atomic

Well, it seems that subversion won the race. ;)
I read some tutorials and it seems to be comparable to p4, sometimes better, sometimes not.
Probably, subversion is our friend for a temporary change until we get our own super-scm. Maybe we could use a public svn service instead of messing with our own.

Bye,
Waldemar