[haiku] Re: Resuming Activity Updates

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:00:06 +0100

Adrien Destugues wrote:
>> I really think the summary model is outdated, with Twitter, blogs and
>> RSS, also in respect to your own workflow. Why don't you just push
>> out
>> interesting commits and mails to a blog whenever something cool
>> happens?
>
> Because something cool never happens in a single commit, but more like
> in a week of work from a dev with several commits. So it's important to
> step back a little and get an outline of what's hapenning.

Yes, I agree. The model of "pushing interesting commits somewhere" has
been suggested a few times in the past but I'm not sure if that ever got
off the ground. I'd also want to summarize some of the discussions from
the mailing list (such as the GSOC proposals).

Another goal is to make the everyday activity more visible and
understandable to the infrequent/first time website visitor. I hope the
slightly more meaty summary posts would get promoted to a front page.

An alternative strategy might be to do it as a blog with a seperate post
for each topic, and then have a feed for that displayed in the
commits/haiku-dev/bugs update box on the homepage. Any preferences?

> However, I'm not sure pushing that on only one person reading the mails
> is such a good idea.

It's true that having one person reading everything is a bit of a point
of failure, as I demonstrated with my last attempt at this a couple of
years ago :)

However it's probably still best for one person to author the summary to
tie related stuff from multiple people together.

> Maybe we should ask the devs to give more info
> about what they are doing...
> Let's start here :
> [...]

Thanks for your own summary, but I wouldn't want to force all the devs
to do that, and wouldn't want to miss out interesting updates because
they hadn't been reported. I think I have a good enough grasp of things
to understand what the commits are about. Obviously I'd appreciate
people pointing out errors in what I eventually come up with.

> Note : I would have made a summary of BeGeistert Coding Sprint results,
> but everyone here keeps speaking german so I don't know much of what's
> hapenning, actually :)

Stephan usually does a very good job on them...

Simon