[haiku] Re: Removing Tracker's Trash options

  • From: "Luposian" <luposian@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 23:50:53 -0700

I say, make it an option.  You can leave it as default (trash holds files til
you manually delete them) or select “Empty Trash Immediately”, which, of
course, should come in two sub-flavors:  “Delete files immediately (no
warning)” and “Delete files immediately (with warning)”.  “With warning”
prompts the user every time they throw something in the trash, “Are you
absolutely certain you wish to delete these files?  Click on [Ok], to delete or
[Cancel] to undo this action.”

The Atari ST was notorious for the “everything that goes into the trash, is
incinerated.”, no warning permanent file deletion.  Once I got a Power
Macintosh 6100/60, I learned to appreciate “the trash can is like a real one...
stuff put in it, is there until it’s emptied.”

I personally like having the option to undo my file trashing.  It’s rarely been
done, but I’d hate to accidentally throw something away and have no recourse
afterwards.