[openbeos] Re: Question about Jobs(Command Line) - "cat" program

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:54:17 EDT (-0400)

> I'm working in cat and it's functional:

How about error handling?  Try cat'ing a file from a CD and remove
the CD while it is working.  And of course, the bash bug where
redirecting stdout to the end of a file (cat blah >>afile) doesn't
work when the file is over a few gigabytes big.  But you can't do
anything about that.  And cat from stdin (the console)?  And all
those optional command line options:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cat&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0%2Dcurrent&format=html
I suppose you could even look at the FreeBSD code for cat for ideas,
or just port it.

> 1) Is it worth continuing or you guys intend to use the GNU one ?

They won't be using the GNU version due to licensing conflicts, but
the BSD licensed ones are probably OK to port (OpenBeOS uses the MIT
license, see the FAQ on the web site for details).  Possibly it's
better to port the easy to port ones, so that new bugs aren't added.
But BeOS specific ones have to be done from scratch.

> 2) What about versioning of the software ? How is it done ? 0.1 ? 0.01 ?

I have no idea.  Maybe someone in the OpenBeOS project can reply.

- Alex