[openbeos] Re: Question about Jobs(Command Line) - "cat" program

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 16:43:18 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > I'm working in cat and it's functional:
>
> How about error handling?  Try cat'ing a file from a CD and remove
> the CD while it is working.  And of course, the bash bug where
> redirecting stdout to the end of a file (cat blah >>afile) doesn't
> work when the file is over a few gigabytes big.  But you can't do
> anything about that.  And cat from stdin (the console)?  And all
> those optional command line options:
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=cat&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.0%2Dcurrent&format=html
> I suppose you could even look at the FreeBSD code for cat for ideas,
> or just port it.
>
> > 1) Is it worth continuing or you guys intend to use the GNU one ?
>
> They won't be using the GNU version due to licensing conflicts, but
> the BSD licensed ones are probably OK to port (OpenBeOS uses the MIT
> license, see the FAQ on the web site for details).  Possibly it's

I don't see what conflicts here.
We use the MIT licence for the code *WE* produce. That doesn't mean
putting the GNU tools in the distro will put all our code into GPL.
Be used the GPL tools and still had the rest as proprietary software.
Since those are standalone programs, not drivers or libraries I don't see
the point, really. Be understood the GPL and used it wisely, just do the
same.

> better to port the easy to port ones, so that new bugs aren't added.
> But BeOS specific ones have to be done from scratch.

that's why I suggest we first deal with them, the rest can be used from
GNU tools directly, or the BSD ones if you are frigthened.

> > 2) What about versioning of the software ? How is it done ? 0.1 ? 0.01
> ?
>
> I have no idea.  Maybe someone in the OpenBeOS project can reply.
Good question :)

François.