[haiku] Proposal to Haiku Developer

  • From: Dane Scott - TuneTracker Systems <tunetracker@xxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:48:15 -0500

This starts out talking about BeOS, but stay with me...

As I mentioned recently, I need a motherboard that can be used with TT
systems for awhile until we can move to Haiku...and I've found a motherboard
that works nicely with BeOS, and I can get lots of them, new!

ASUS MB P5KPL IPC CORE 2 QUAD G31 FSB1333 LGA775 DD

The only problem is with networking.  The built-in Ethernet is a Realtek
RTL8102E chip BeOS doesn't know what to do with.  Alternatively, when we try
the PCI network cards we usually use, they work oddly.  The Realtek 8169,
for example, can be made to work, however after a reboot, the card is no
longer found by BeOS and you get the "a network device failed to initialize"
error.

I REALLY want to use this board, because it's the one board I've found that
has all the other things I need, and it's available in good quantity, brand
new.  So I'm proposing that a programmer work with me to either resolve the
problem of the disappearing network card, or to develop a driver for the
Realtek chipset.  Obviously I'd pay them for their work, but I want to do
more than that.

If it turns out we can make a workable new network driver for the
motherboard's chipset (or port one from Linux?), I'd make certain we also do
a Haiku version of it, and I will donate it to the Haiku project.

So, what I need to know is, is there someone who would be willing to take
this on, for pay?  Or, if the most-likely candidates for this don't happen
to be in this group, could you guys recommend good people to ask?

Thanks much,

Dane

CC Patrick, FYI