[haiku] Re: Proposal to Haiku Developer

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:14:03 +0100

> The only problem is with networking.  The built-in Ethernet is a Realtek
> RTL8102E chip BeOS doesn't know what to do with.  Alternatively, when we try
> the PCI network cards we usually use, they work oddly.  The Realtek 8169,
> for example, can be made to work, however after a reboot, the card is no
> longer found by BeOS and you get the "a network device failed to initialize"
> error.

Can you disable the on-board networking in the bios when using the PCI
card? There might be some sort of conflict.

Have you tried the board with Haiku? I suspect the on-board LAN will
work OK with one of the network drivers thanks to the FreeBSD
compatibility layer. I don't know if those drivers can be made
BeOS-compatible though.

Simon