[openbeos] Re: OBOS Poll: Multiple Monitor Support

  • From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:50:25 +0100

On onsdag, januari 9, 2002, at 01:18 , philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx wrote:

(Personally)
Extra monitors should have their own workspace.
For one simple reason - different resolutions. I could have a 19"
monitor and a 21" monitor.
Maybe I don't want them the same res.

(Personally too) Extra monitors should share the same workspace.

For one simple reason: focus!

Please remember that workspaces are *virtual* desktops.
Only one is visible at a time on-screen.

Would be nice to see more than one at a time.

Screen(s) is not same as desktop...

BTW, each workspace remember which window have the focus so that when you'll switch back, the correct window would get the focus.
If each monitor show a different *workspace*, who get the focus when you'll hit a key?
The monitor you were looking at, I guess?

It can't matter what monitor you got that window on. Switch workplace, and the window that last had the focus in that workplace gets it back.

Quick, let's start a new project called "focus_follow_the_user_eyes input_server addon" right now! ;-)

A microphone connected to your soundcard could also do the trick.

Even with multi-monitors, we still have only one keyboard (focus) and mouse (focus).

Most of us have USB connectors on our computers nowdays, and Wacom makes wonderful digitizers. It would be nice to have the Wacom pad "connected" to the "painting" window and knowing it's actice all the time when I use that device, and have the keybord "connected" to another window thats also active at the same time, but on another monitor. That should reduce the (in my opinion) "focus shift" factor quite a bit.

You don't want to have to *tell* yourself on which screen the keyboard/mouse operate, right!?

Well, I prefer to know exactly what's the actice window when using the keaboard, I have learnt the hard way.

But I bet you'll like to be able to *move* your mouse cursor from one screen to another one, just my moving the mouse device in the intuitive direction : from left to right if you second monitor is a first's right, from bottom to top for a second monitor on top of the first, etc...

Can be made if you can configure the physical positions of your monitors.
If your current focus is on your monitor in the middle (expensive three
monitor setup) and the mouse pointer touch the right edge (and you hold
it still for a configurable amount of time, or click the right mouse button
real hard), the focus shifts to the monitor to the right.
Using the corners in the same manner, a matrix of monitors
could easily be managed.

...Jasse...the inventor of the monitor matrix...