[haiku] Multi-track recording and compositing

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:07:42 +0200

Hi,

On 2009-06-06 at 11:28:31 [+0200], Cyan <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> David Himelright <david.himelright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Pier Luigi Fiorini <
> > pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I hope a multi track record for Haiku will come out, I think it can
> > > be a
> > > good alternative to Windows once we get the hardware support :)
> > >

> > I have a few thoughts on this topic, please let me know if you're
> > interested in sharing some thoughts on features off-list.
>
> I'm interested too -- I was actually on the verge of writing something
> along these lines for personal use. That's currently on-hold (while I
> figure out how to get the HDA driver playing and recording
> simultaneously, and all 10 outputs operational), but I'm always
> interested in discussing features.
>
> I'm thinking minimal here (because anything is better than nothing).
> Either linear (ADAT-style) or non-linear ("tape-clipping" editing), the
> former is more attractive to me because of its easier-to-write GUI.
> Multiple-outputs and MTC (master) are a must.
>
> Pier, David -- feel free to e-mail me off-list if you want! I'd be
> particularly interested hearing what your minimum set of features is like.

Great news, everyone! I just reached my old boss, Steffen Friedle, and I
have now permission to publish "Clockwerk", the multimedia compositing
editor that was part of the application suit develped by Mindwork under the
GPL. (This was the plan for a while, but we wanted to discuss some final
details first.) I have worked on this application from January 2006 to
around June 2008, mostly full-time, Axel and Ingo worked on other Mindwork
applications, but also on some aspects of Clockwerk. So this is quite a
headstart for any multi-track recording software. My plans are currently to
publish it on OS-Drawer. If that doesn't work out for whatever reason, it
will be berlios.de. I am really excited about this! I just need to prepend
GPL headers to most files and add some documentation. :-D

More pressure for Haiku Media Kit encoding...

Best regards,
-Stephan