[openbeos] Re: Media questions

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:19:47 +0100 CET

> >in src/add-ons/media/plugins/avcodec here is a modified version of
> >my FFDecoder plugin for R5, which uses ffmpeg's libavcodec.
>
> Yes I've seen that. There seems to be a heck of a lot codecs
> supported by
> libavcodec, which ones are currently working in the new media kit
> plugin?
Dunno for sure.

> >ffmpeg can use several libraries by itself to decode even more
> >things...
> >including AAC, FLAC I think, ...
>
> Yes, but I guess only the codec library (libavcodec) shall be used in
> the
> plugins and not the program ffmpeg, right? That would mean that where
> ffmpeg
> uses libraries other than libavcodec separate decoders would have to
> be
> made.
I meant libavcodec here. It can use libs to decode some formats,
but of course, using a wrapper on another one isn't very reliable...

> >HuffYUV is handled by libavcoded.
> Ok, great! Does it work in the new plugin?
Didn't test it.

> >> Some people have digital outputs on their soundcards, connected to
> >> devices
> >> that
> >> can decode AC-3 and DTS. Could there be a feature in mediakit to
> >> select what
> >> streams should just be passed through to the digital out and not
> >> encoded in
> >> the media kit?
> >rephrase ?
>
> Oops, I meant decoded..
> From my soundcard I use S/PDIF out to my surround reciever (which is
> capable
> of decoding AC3 and DTS). When opening a file with an AC3 or DTS
> stream
> inside I want that to be sent directly to my reciever without being
> decoded
> first (otherwise I'll only get stereo sound). I think this should be
> an
> option in the media settings. Or maybe it should be another decoder
> which
> just passes on the stream to the S/PDIF, but then I'll have to be
> able to
> choose which decoder to use (because I still want to have the option
> decode it for doing conversion).
Well it's possible to make specialized nodes which says
"hey I can understand AC3 and I'm a physical output", then it's
up to the player to use it instead of the codec+system mixer.
Same with hardware mpeg decoders. But note often those are very
strict on the format they understand, that is some files might
conform to the standard but be of too low bitrate or too have much
variation of it, and the hardware will bail out.

> >ffmpeg itself has a --risky switch on configure to include them...
> >Just do your job lobbying the EU commission so they don't vote
> > software
> >patents and we are safe. Oh, right some ppl live in the US...
>
> Yeah let's hope they make a wise decision.
Go lobby your european deputee :)

> >> Does/Will streaming from Internet work in the media kit?
> >Why not ? :)
> >I patched nplay recently to do just that.
>
> Ok, so is it up to the application to support that or the media kit?
> Btw I
> haven't seen that player before, looks like exactly the kind of
> player I was
> looking for.. I like that design better than the Media Player.
It's a bit rough, but it sometimes plays better than others.
For now streaming is teh player's job. We might later introduce special
classes or nodes to do that.

François.