[openbeos] Re: Media questions

  • From: "Fredrik Ekdahl" <fredrik.ekdahl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:21:35 +0100

in src/add-ons/media/plugins/avcodec here is a modified version of
my FFDecoder plugin for R5, which uses ffmpeg's libavcodec.

Yes I've seen that. There seems to be a heck of a lot codecs supported by libavcodec, which ones are currently working in the new media kit plugin?

ffmpeg can use several libraries by itself to decode even more
things...
including AAC, FLAC I think, ...

Yes, but I guess only the codec library (libavcodec) shall be used in the plugins and not the program ffmpeg, right? That would mean that where ffmpeg uses libraries other than libavcodec separate decoders would have to be made.

HuffYUV is handled by libavcoded.
Ok, great! Does it work in the new plugin?

I might add several file readers as well...
DVD: don't have any DVD here, but I'm sure someone will anyway.

Lets hope so.

MP4: it's nearly Quicktime. I've already written a mov parser,
so I'll do that one.

Great!

Besides I'm adding an nsv demuxer to ffmpeg before doing one for Haiku.

Some people have digital outputs on their soundcards, connected to
devices
that
can decode AC-3 and DTS. Could there be a feature in mediakit to
select what
streams should just be passed through to the digital out and not
encoded in
the media kit?
rephrase ?

Oops, I meant decoded..
From my soundcard I use S/PDIF out to my surround reciever (which is capable of decoding AC3 and DTS). When opening a file with an AC3 or DTS stream inside I want that to be sent directly to my reciever without being decoded first (otherwise I'll only get stereo sound). I think this should be an option in the media settings. Or maybe it should be another decoder which just passes on the stream to the S/PDIF, but then I'll have to be able to choose which decoder to use (because I still want to have the option to decode it for doing conversion).

Would it be possible to supply codecs covered by patents in source
form and
at
installation inform the user of what he/she can/cannot do with it and
then
compile and install it if the user wishes that? This is for avoiding
infringing
patents in supplied binaries. (Hope you understand what i mean)
Perhaps
there
should be a switch like the Include GPL Addons which says Include
Patented
Addons.
ffmpeg itself has a --risky switch on configure to include them...
Just do your job lobbying the EU commission so they don't vote software
patents and we are safe. Oh, right some ppl live in the US...

Yeah let's hope they make a wise decision.

I guess they should migrate to Canada. With Bush2 there is a new
campaign
in canada: http://www.marryanamerican.ca/

Does/Will streaming from Internet work in the media kit?
Why not ? :)
I patched nplay recently to do just that.

Ok, so is it up to the application to support that or the media kit? Btw I haven't seen that player before, looks like exactly the kind of player I was looking for.. I like that design better than the Media Player.

What about playing files while they are being downloaded to disk?
That's called progressive download, and it's not that difficult to do,
even with AVI.

So I guess that will eventually work then.

François.

Sorry for the weird linebreaks in the last email.

/Fredrik