[openbeos] Re: Media questions

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:40:58 +0100 CET

> A while ago I asked some of these questions in the forum but didn't
> get any
> anwers, but my curiosity still remains so I'll try here instead.. :)
>
> I'm really glad to see that there is support for so many codecs in
> the cvs
> repository.
>
> Are there any plans to make any of the following plugins for the new
> media
> kit:

in src/add-ons/media/plugins/avcodec here is a modified version of
my FFDecoder plugin for R5, which uses ffmpeg's libavcodec.
ffmpeg can use several libraries by itself to decode even more
things...
including AAC, FLAC I think, ...
HuffYUV is handled by libavcoded.
I might add several file readers as well...
DVD: don't have any DVD here, but I'm sure someone will anyway.
MP4: it's nearly Quicktime. I've already written a mov parser,
so I'll do that one.
Besides I'm adding an nsv demuxer to ffmpeg before doing one for Haiku.

> Some people have digital outputs on their soundcards, connected to
> devices
> that
> can decode AC-3 and DTS. Could there be a feature in mediakit to
> select what
> streams should just be passed through to the digital out and not
> encoded in
> the media kit?
rephrase ?

> Would it be possible to supply codecs covered by patents in source
> form and
> at
> installation inform the user of what he/she can/cannot do with it and
> then
> compile and install it if the user wishes that? This is for avoiding
> infringing
> patents in supplied binaries. (Hope you understand what i mean)
> Perhaps
> there
> should be a switch like the Include GPL Addons which says Include
> Patented
> Addons.
ffmpeg itself has a --risky switch on configure to include them...
Just do your job lobbying the EU commission so they don't vote software
patents and we are safe. Oh, right some ppl live in the US...
I guess they should migrate to Canada. With Bush2 there is a new
campaign
in canada: http://www.marryanamerican.ca/

> Does/Will streaming from Internet work in the media kit?
Why not ? :)
I patched nplay recently to do just that.

> What about playing files while they are being downloaded to disk?
That's called progressive download, and it's not that difficult to do,
even with AVI.

François.