[openbeos] Re: Max number of files on BFS?

  • From: OpenBeOS.20.magnum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:37:17 EST

>Using either BFS or OpenBFS, what is, in real-life situations, the
>highest number of files you can have on a) a BFS volume, and b) a
>directory on a BFS volume?

My system gets slow at a few hundred thousand files total, even with plenty of
free disk space.  Copying files becomes unusable.

I don't know about directories.  Tracker windows become slow to complete
initlialising at 20,000 or so files, but other operations don't seem to suffer,
except for the amount of sheer data involved.