[openbeos] Re: Link .. Fonts ... freetype ..

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 03:09:48 CEST (+0200)

> Every shitty menu is doing that with a 10pt or 12pt fonts. Windows
> software
> (WinExplorer, Word2000, Mozilla ... every app on WinNT and Win98
> isn´t
> using antialiasing .. so ...
> ... By the way I had a deeper look in Photoshop compared to Magnify
> ..
> My question is, what should be our intension here  ...
>
> From what I think is that beginning from 50pt upwards antialising
> seems
> very cool !!!
> So I wonder if freetype is using that ... (You see I didnt have a
> look
> inside there) ...
> I even haven´t a look to Linux ... because I´m getting back to
> openBeOS
> after 2 years abstinence and
> killed 2 of my linux desktops therefor :-)
>
> I REALLY THINK WE HAVE TO GET RID OF THIS, BECAUSE what I type into
> my
> bemail now isn´t that good readable ...

Sorry to say, but I am the exact opposite ;-))
I love the Dano font renderer (and MacOS X for that matter) because of
their high quality antialiased fonts - surfing the web from Windows
looks crappy to me, some pages even have special images so that the
font looks nicer in their menus - with Dano you can't see any
difference anymore - and I *so* like that.
But with Dano, you can also turn it off system-wide, and I guess we
will also do something like this.

Adios...
   Axel.