[openbeos] Re: Jason Samms, unreleased OpenGL

  • From: Evan Knop <argent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 21 Nov 2001 20:18:53 -0500

On Wed, 2001-11-21 at 18:35, John Gabriele wrote:

> Michael Phipps wrote:
> >I don't think (and this is my opinion only) that we should put bare minimum
> >work
> >into a software OGL renderer. Basically, they are worthless, since most
> >opengl
> >is for games, and no one wants 1fps games.
>
> Regarding minimum graphics hardware requirements for OBOS,
> It's been mentioned to me that requiring an AGP card, at minimum,
> isn't such a bad idea these days. I'd tend to agree with that.

Actually, just to toss in my $0.02, I think that we should definitely
keep supporting PCI graphics.  While almost everyone has an AGP card,
PCI cards are used in a lot of settings to allow for multi-monitor
support.  It would be pretty cool to be able to have multi-monitor
support, at least in 2.0.

On a side note:
Would it be possible to use OpenGL as the base layer for the Interface
Kit and the graphics?  If so, we would only need one hardware
acceleration layer, and porting to a new card might be able to piggyback
more off of X and Mesa.

Plus, it would be a cool bragging right.  "Look, all *our* windows are
3D accelerated."