[haiku] Re: Is Haiku ready for (home-studio) sound edition?

  • From: Marcio Frayze David <mfdavid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:12:21 -0200

>   Hi Marco. I think many components of Haiku are approaching useable
> for auio recording.
>  the biggest issues are as follows
>
>  Not all capture devices work properly
>  No good capture applications " especially multitrack"
>  No solid audio editing " cold cut looks promising but is way behind"
>  No effects chains or other VST technologys are currently stable and
> functional.

I dont need to capture multitrack, I just need one track at a time, but I
want to be able to "merge" them later. I record the drums first, then the
base, then the guitar, and later the voice. And "merge" it all :)

>  I think Haiku holds excelent promise here as the BEOS is used in
> Tascam digital recorders
>
>  So its going to come along.
>
>  the core of the system and media services is very solid and even
> though you'll see some rants
>  about untested system latencys, on the hardware I have been able to
> record with. those latencys are
>  well within bounds of hardware and data movement boundrys.
>
>  Give it some time.

Yeah, from what i read, haiku multimedia system is very good, that's why I
was thinking about using it. I'll give it a try anyway. What I need is not
that complex, maybe I can figure a way to do it. The big problem is from
what you all are saying, I will not be able to use my external (usb) sound
card...

>  Traverso might become a viable option soon as the QT port should
> allow it. the issue will become
>  interfacing Traverso to the haiku media services. It may require a
> audio translator layer. I think it would
>  be easier to port traverso to a more haiku native application becuase
> the beapi and the QT api share a great deal of similaritys.
>
>  I to hope for the day to boot out of windows for audio work.
>
>  As for your linux experience. I doubt you'll ever find it very
> satisfying in regards to audio work.
>
>   If you have a windows partition give Presonus studio one a whirl.
> very stable and solid. Works great, excelent workflow and
>  it is based on the Krystal audio engine.

Windows? Is that a Linux Distribution or what? ;-) No MS windows on my
machines for about 7 years now ;D drugs free hehe

>  Sean

Cya,
Marcio