[haiku] Re: Is Haiku ready for (home-studio) sound edition?

  • From: Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:03:24 +0100

Hi Marcio Frayze David,

Before I install a "native" Haiku installation (I just used it under VMware)
> I would like to know: is Haiku ready for simple sound edition?

I have played around that, Haiku is not ready to record in real time due to
some latency problems.

Is there a good hardware (audio) support?

Yes, we have many native drivers and a port of OSS, usb/firewire audio
devices are not available (a native driver is requested). I suggest you to
install Haiku, usually the system run better on native hardware than in vm.

What (free and open, if possible) softwares should I use? I don't want
> anything too complex, just want to record on multiple tracks, that's all.

BeAE is an audio editor for Haiku.
You can install BeAE using the installoptionalpackage command from Terminal,
some apps are available to haikuware.com, i suggest to take a look. Cortex
is a "media_kit gui", it allow you to control any node in the media_kit (it
is installed in any Haiku build).

http://haikuware.com/directory/multimedia/audio/audio-editing/

Regards