[haiku] Introducing gluon

  • From: Vasco Costa <vasco.costa@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:23:05 +0100

Hello everybody!

My screen name is gluon and I'm a new member of the Haiku community. I'll try to briefly describe my technical background in the next couple of paragraphs and then let you know why I'm here.

I'm from Portugal and I've been working in the IT field after completing a degree in computer science engineering. I've been using computers since my childhood in the late eighties, starting with a ZX Spectrum +3 and later moving into the PC platform starting with a friend's 386 and later my own 486 machine. DOS and Windows were the first operating systems I used and though I felt something was missing I was too young to replace them in the early nineties.

However, by the late nineties I found Linux and all of a sudden my customization and advanced usage needs were soundly met. I went through the usual distro hopping which went like this: Red Hat, Suse, Slackware, Debian, LFS, Gentoo and eventually settled with Archlinux. Meanwhile I've done some pleasant incursions through systems like the BSD's, Solaris or even Plan9. Linux has been my de facto desktop operating system, whereas other UNIX-like flavors have gained my confidence on the server side. I'm such an eclectic user always willing to try something new, that it would be unpractical to go through the comprehensive list of all the kernels I ever booted.

Thus, I can say that during the last decade I felt at home with POSIX compliant operating systems. Despite their important role leveraging my computer knowledge, there are some issues which have been boiling in my mind recently. After so many years I've been changing my mind regarding how I define a good personal computing operating system. Being technically savvy doesn't mean I always want a challenge when doing simple things like listening to music, reading my documents or surfing the web. I'm also a minimalist who truly believes that most of the time, less is more and a perfectionist who thinks the operating environment should provide a coherent interface, instead of a fragmented user experience. I long knew about BeOS but never really used it, luckily I found Haiku which feels like a perfect fit for my new goals: simplicity, minimalism, consistent interface and performance.

On a more technical note, I find the object oriented Be API an absolutely elegant tool for application developers, unlike its POSIX counterpart. I'm in love with Haiku both under the hood and its outside, nevertheless I will only have time to become a developer on the medium to long term. On the other hand I'd like to help with bug reporting, documentation and translation (European Portuguese) starting right away!

I know how to report bugs but I'd like to hear from someone how should I go about documentation and translation. Thanks in advance.

--
Vasco Costa