[haiku] Re: Installing Haiku in Acer Aspire One (was [haiku-development] Re: Kernel APM function access?)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <jorge.g.mare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 18:11:45 -0800

Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Jorge G. Mare <jorge.g.mare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have gone as far as booting the Gparted liveCD and creating an empty
>> partition.
>>
>> However, I seem to be unable to find the way to set the partid to 'eb'.
>> Can you be more specific?
>>

> It's actually not necessary, make sure to use rootnoverify in the grub
> menu instead of just root

Thank you for all the replies.

I was able to boot Haiku from a USB stick, but everytime I tried to
format the blank partition that I had prepared for Haiku, it would failr
and I would get an error; I suspect this may have been because of the
hidden partition that the aspire one has (used to reinstall win xp).

So I changed course of action as follows:

I installed eeeBuntu wiping the whole HDD and repartitioning it with
partitions for both eeebuntu and Haiku (adios XP!).

I then followed instructions on...

http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/building_haiku_on_ubuntu_linux_step_by_step

...to build Haiku and then...

http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/installing_haiku_to_a_partition_from_linux

...to install it on one of the partitions.

Haiku is now happily running on my netbook, and I doule boot to eeeBuntu
to recompile it when I need to. :)

Cheers,

Jorge

PS: in case anyone is interested, eeeBuntu fully worked out of the box
on the acer aspire one, including wifi.