[openbeos] Re: Icon Contest thread

  • From: Stefano Ceccherini <burton666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 4 Sep 2006 09:58:32 -0000

>2. Stippi's icons look amazing at 16x16.  The extra >work Stippi spent
>touching up icons at lower resolutions has really >paid off.

Actually I like Stippi's icons very much too. The only remark I have is that
some colors could've been better. For example the folder icon colors aren't
that great (too much contrast, maybe), Kabuto's folder icon colors would fit
better, IMHO.

> I dont know about the habits of other users, but I >prefer to view
>folders with a list / detailed view.  I will spend a >majority of my
>time using 16x16 icons.  In fact, the
>only
>icons I will view at 32x32 or 64x64 are the desktop
>icons.  Whichever set wins, extra attention  must be >made to the 16x16 look.

Same here.

>3.
> Dropline Neu looks impressive at larger resolutions, >but is very
>light on colours - ie. it's
>very grey.  The lack of colours is evident when >viewing it in 16x16 mode,
>where a lot of the icons blend into one.  Otherwise, >this is a beautiful
>set, if only it were richer in colour.

Yes, although it's maybe a bit too cartoonish ?

>4. 575
>has the opposite issue, the colours seem very rich, >and I think they
>should be toned down slightly.

Also other sets share this same problem. Deborah, for example.

>5. Alba and Tango are too squarish - in 16x16 mode, >all icons look the same.
> I think the unique shape of an icon helps >recognition.

Agreed. For that matter, I hope we stay with the isometric perspective for our
icons. Tango and Alba really look like the standard icons you can find on any
other OS.

>7. Honey can be a beautiful set if it were a bit >brighter.  It's a bit too
>dull at the moment.

Agreed. It also has problems at 16x16, where the icons are almost
indistinguishable.

>8. Stippi, zuMi and Mc Clintock are my current >favourites.

My favourite is Stippi, but I also find Ponkan very nice and interesting. While
it deviates a bit from the "standard" beos icons, I think it has some nice
touches (the green folder icon is great, just like the black drive icon).

Zumi is nice, although it's too much like BeOS :)
And Mc Clintock is nice too, although isn't what Zeta uses/used ? I wouldn't
like to share the icons with another OS.

Garum is a brave try, but unfortunately at 16x16 you can't tell any icon from
another.

Stefano Ceccherini aka Jack Burton
Mettiti al centro del mondo! Crea il tuo blog e condividi con
i tuoi amici idee, immagini e video, da web e da cellulare!
http://beta.dada.net/