[openbeos] Re: Icon Contest thread

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:36:29 +0200

Hi Petter,

Combining nice and distinctive characteristics seems at least possible to
me.

> I think 16x16 icons is underrated here. [8<]

Totally agreed. I think that zuMis (recent) icons work well in this regard,
Alba comming out best. Mine are Ok I think, and Tango of course with it's
special 16x16 version.

> I'm wondering how the guidelines for Stippis set would look when it comes
> to perspective?),

Ahm. That's easy. Start with the isometric look, at the finishing stage,
adjust the top lines to give stronger perspective, while keeping a close
eye on crispness at 16x16. The bottom lines should stay fixed to be like in
the isometric look. (My harddisk and archive icon don't follow this, but I
had no time to correct this in time for the contest.)

> I can't figure out how people see BeOS in Honey though. I've
> always thought that BeOS had
> bright nice colors on their icons, which would give a user a warm
> welcoming feeling. I can't say that
> Honey nearly BeOSish - when it comes to colors, perspective or feel.

I absolutely agree. The reaction to the Honey set comes at a surprise for
me. With some of those icons, I see even more problems than just the
colors. For example, the person icon should in no way show a "white"
person. We really need to abstract from that. The leaves on the hard drive
are a bit childish and would only work for the boot partition IMHO. Most of
the other icons really need better colors. The CD icon doesn't work at all
I think. Anyhow, many people seem to like them nevertheless (judging by OS
News comments). Or it's just the more vocal kind of people... :-)

> As I've seen the results as of now, I can't say I'm too happy. But thats
> just my opinion. I think we should
> consider everything (16x16!, how colors match system colors, how they
> appear (childish, professional),
> perspective and so on. I think this is a decision which are too important
> for us to pick the top rated icon set.

Yeah... the risk of doing a contest... :-) Don't forget that the ones who
make the icons (and Haiku) get to have more weight in the discussion though.

Best regards,
-Stephan