[openbeos] Re: Happy X MAs and happy new year 2007

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:13:34 +0100 (MET)

"Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/26/06, Stefano Ceccherini <stefano.ceccherini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 2006/12/26, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > > Also in my investigation of porting WebKit I have come across the
> > > ICU
> > > library from IBM, which would make a great foundation for a
> > > LocaleKit.
> > I thought we were going to use the opentracker locale kit.
> Well I'm not speaking in any official capacity on this. I'm not sure
> what the opentracker locale kit has, but ICU has a lot of nice i18n
> and localization features and it is used in Mac OS X and the WebKit
> and I'm sure many other projects. Of course we don't have to "jump on
> the bandwagon", but it wouldn't hurt to look at it.

The BUnicodeChar class is already using an algorithm from ICU. I
wouldn't want to include the whole thing, though.
I have not adopted the sorting mechanism, though, but maybe we could
include a rule based mechanism in the future and take it from ICU.
Right now, the sorting algorithms are realized as add-ons, so we could
easily do this later.

> I don't see a reason for us to totally re-invent the wheel all the
> time, especially for something complex like i18n.

Only certain aspects of "i18n" are complex - the most part isn't. Of
course we should try to adopt as much existing functionality as
possible, but it also shouldn't be our aim to include any 3rd party
foreign APIs which we cannot control, and which might have less
interest in API stability and consistency.

Bye,
   Axel.