[haiku] Re: Haiku's own computer?

  • From: Alan Burkes <firstakir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:24:56 -0800

I think the important question to ask regarding cpu choice is actually 'what
is the priority here - price or power usage?'

I say this because I seem to recall that full geode systems are suposed to
be cheep.

So, as a question any engineer should begin with, what is the actual purpose
of this computer? Is it going to be a set-top box? A public kiosk? Or maybe
a 'toy machine'?

In another train of thought, if you're looking for a reference board, why
not see if there are any more Efika 5200B's running around? Support Haiku
for PPC! :P

On Feb 25, 2010 8:13 PM, "Nick" <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We're going to build a prototype machine that runs Haiku as it's > native
OS with embedded boards ...
Maybe Intel Atom Z would be a better choice over Geode?

There is Atom Z series without HT which uses 0.65 to 2 W TDP.
Or Z series with HT uses 2 to 2.4 W TDP.  Power use depends on
processor speed chosen.

With as low as 0.01 W during idle.

I believe the speed is 800 MHz to 2 GHz.  Size around 1 Euro Cent.

The Atom Z is meant for MID devices and would be perfect fit for
embedded boards.  Seems like a better choice to me but not sure
on pricing.

Check it out here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#Architecture

Wish you the best with your business whether you go Atom or Geode.

Regards,

Not using Hotmail on your phone? Why not? Get it
now.<http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9708120>