[haiku] Re: Haiku's own computer?

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:57:01 +0100 CET

> Okay. That seems fair enough to me. I wouldn't need to open source
> anything coded by my colleagues, would I? They love open source, but

They seem to have a quite unidirectional love for FOSS  :P

> they're a bit iffy on open sourcing any work they do. I'm guessing
> that we wouldn't have to because we're producing third-party
> applications that have a totally separate license to the OS itself.

It should be.
Just be careful with the GPLed parts.

> I don't think an ARM desktop would be financially viable. Again,
> going
> back to Jon Smith, he probably hasn't heard of anything other than
> the
> Mac, Windows, Microsoft, Intel and AMD (at a stretch). Saying "Buy
> the
> NuBox, it has an ARM CPU!" would just be greeted with confused
> expressions and mild alienation. Even if Haiku ran on an ARM
> processor, it wouldn't be anywhere near as advanced as the x86
> version
> is right now, which would delay a working prototype.

Well, ARM netbooks are getting there, and there definitely is a niche
for PPC machines for ex (new Amiga likes (SAM440...)), and there are
some interesting ARM things that would make nice thin clients like the
Efika MX...
But yes making things and going frontal with the PC would probably get
people confused, unless you have the money to make such a distinctive

François.