[haiku] Haiku on low memory systems

  • From: David Given <dg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:29:35 +0000

I have a really old Toshiba laptop, a 520CDT. It's got a Pentium 166 and
48MB of RAM, which means that it has rather limited use these days.

I did try to boot Haiku on it, and it just doesn't work: as soon as the
boot loader loads I get a black screen with a blinking cursor in it and
it just hangs. I can't say I'm very surprised...

My question is: can Haiku be made to run on this at all? I know that
technically 128MB is the minimum supported RAM, but can this be shaved
down at all? For example, does such a thing as a command-line Haiku
setup with no GUI exist?

Additionally, people may be interested to know that this laptop refuses
to admit the Haiku CD is bootable. It'll boot ISOLINUX and SYSLINUX CDs
fine. Is this of interest to anyone?

│
│ life←{ ↑1 ⍵∨.^3 4=+/,¯1 0 1∘.⊖¯1 0 1∘.⌽⊂⍵ }
│ --- Conway's Game Of Life, in one line of APL